An author friend, Lauren Clark, challenged me to quickly come up with 10 books that impacted my life. Definitely not an easy task, but I took a shot at it. (Lauren has a new book out, too [Pie Girls]. If you like southern fiction full of sassy, smart women, you should check it out!)
Meanwhile, here’s my list. I really need about 200 more spaces to work with here, folks.
1. Little House in the Big Woods – Laura Ingalls Wilder
2. Birds of America – Lorrie Moore
3. Waltzing the Cat – Pam Houston
4. Larry McMurtry – The Last Picture Show
5. Annie Proulx – Close Range
6. To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee
7. The Poisonwood Bible – Barbara Kingsolver
8. White Oleander by Janet Fitch
9. Beloved – Toni Morrison
10. Gone with the Wind – Margaret Mitchell
Now, I’d love to hear your lists in the comments! Then I’ll psychoanalyze you. (Kidding. Mostly.)
Also, I am already revising my list in my head … Stegner, Steinbeck, McCarthy, Salinger, Lopez, Smiley, Conrad, Lamott … oh and The Solace of Open Spaces (G. Ehrlich) …and so many poets like Mary Oliver …heck, even Encyclopedia Brown and Nancy Drew books … I’ll stop now.